Friday 29 February 2008

Guest account

I have setup a guest account, that is you can switch on my machine at any time and login with no password. This account allows you to run practically all the applications that are on goofy (my machine's name). The bad news is that you can not access this account remotely (let me know if you need it, I'll work it out for you) and you can not install programs on this account. The great news is that you can access this account at any time (and please feel free to do so). Here is how:
  • If I am not there and goofy is switched off: switch it on and login as a guest. It's enough you click on the guest icon
  • If I am not there and goofy is switched on: go on the menu, top right corner and click on the shaded man. You'll be prompted in another desktop, and whatever I was doing will keep running on the background (no harm for me, then). 
  • If I am there, just come and ask, it takes a second to switch user.
Why this is useful: you may want to use some software that is on goofy but not on your machine, or you may need goofy to be switched on. Just help yourself. A few caveats
  • You can temporarily store files in a guest account, but they will be deleted when you logout
  • My keyboard is Italian (experience the pain I go through every time I sit on a computer with a differently mapped keyboard...)

No comments: